Simple Taz 6 BL touch add on

I am trying to add a BL Touch to a stock Taz 6. Not much direction online for a simple add on. Could anyone answer a few questions?

If I use the Drunken Octopus firmware tool and simply select Taz 6 and BL Touch, will I get the correct firmware I need? (assuming all other options stay as is)

Does this firmware specify which mount is needed for a stock single extruder tool head or is that a setting I will need to change in the firmware?

I have used MS visual studio for upgrading the firmware on my Ender 5, can I use the same software for this firmware or is it already set to go when I upload to my Cura LE software?

This may not be all I need to know to make this upgrade to my machine but it will certainly get me going in the correct direction. If anyone can help with this I will be very grateful and add you to my wall of heroes.

Does this firmware specify which mount is needed for a stock single extruder tool head or is that a setting I will need to change in the firmware?

I’m not sure, I never understood how people are just using the pre-built images with BLTouch given that you have to hardcode the exact offset (from the nozzle) coordinates into Configuration.h. I always compiled my own version, it’s relatively straightforward and as you explore Marlin you will definitely find something else to tweak to your liking. Like adding custom buttons/menus. Like making the display work a lot faster. Like changing the number of probe points with UBL. Like enabling input shaping… Highly recommend just doing that, given that you have experience with VS. The guide is here, it’s pretty barebones but correct. If you run into configuration problems then just solve them one at a time and ask for help here or chatgpt or stackoverflow.

As far as mounts, I got something from Thingiverse, didn’t like it, made my own, adapted the extruder backplate, it flexed… then made another… it’s an iterative process and you stop whenever the results are good enough for your needs :rofl:

You will compile the firmware just using the standard c++ compiler using Makefiles that DO comes with, you don’t need any additional software. Installing the firmware can be done with Cura LE.

Good luck, it seems daunting at first but you will get there and love the results and be able to run this printer into the foreseeable future as DO pulls in the latest Marlin upgrades!

Thanks for the info and encouragement! I have been working on this printer for months on and off just so I can start printing in ABS.

You can customize the nozzle offset on pre-built firmware by using M851 and then M500 to save to EEPROM. The compiled in values are only used to set the defaults.

Can you share the STLs for any probe mounts you fashioned for the Taz 6? I have found one that does mount reasonably well to the Aero heat sink but the fan shroud has to be replaced with one with more clearance in that area - and the fan shroud I found is not good at all.

Here’s the shroud I use:

There are many Titan Aero mounts and they all work the same, but the stupid fan shroud gets in the way. The Aero tool heads with the volcano heat block (HS, HS+) have more clearance in the shroud in that area but the regular SE tool head shrouds are in the way.

Ideally I would like a way to diectly mount an SE tool head onto a Taz 6 without an adapter plate. Haven’t found a way to do that yet.

Not sure who you were asking, but I personally don’t have a custom mount I can provide. I don’t even own a TAZ 6. Now a days I compile the Drunken Octopus firmware for those who still need it, but don’t really have any LulzBot printers I use myself.

I was confused as well on who you were asking :laughing:. I only have the stock tool head for the taz 6 so these may not work without some modding. I don’t know if the mounts or shrouds are made from ABS, but if they are, you could print these in ABS and use acetone to glue them on, which is what I did for mine.

Hopefully the link works. First time loading something on thingiverse.