BL Touch with Archim 2 on Taz 6

I upgraded my Taz 6 to use an Archim 2 board with the intention of installing a BL Touch leveling system since I was frustrated with the leveling system that came with my machine. Since I made the control board change over though I have not had nearly as much trouble with the current leveling system and have kind of forgotten about doing the BL Touch but would love to hear from somebody who has made that conversion on the Taz 6 and can share information about it. Otherwise I will be doing my own research to figure out what I would need to do to make that happen.

1 Like

Hey,

I just finished this exact setup. What would you like to know? It’s awesome! haha!

I want to know as much as you are willing to tell me. Where did you get your basic BL Touch? How do you plug it into the Archim 2 and how did you attach it to your toolhead? What tool head are you using?

I ordered my bltouch from printed solid. Don’t buy them from Amazon, too many fakes. I did however get a 1.5 meter extension cable from Amazon. As far as plugging it into the Archim, it’s best to use the wiring guides, but in short bltouch sense wires goes into the bed leveling spot. you can grab 5v for it out of the serial port.

I’m using the hemera toolhead with the mount located here:

I did need to space the bl touch down as it sits a tad high with the hemera. you should be able to use that mount with any toolhead, really.

What are your thoughts on the Archim 2 board? Do you think it’s a worthwhile upgrade to a Taz 6?

Detailed moves are much quicker and the main selling point, the printer is pretty much silent. I have my printer in the basement right under my son’s room. It was too loud. If it weren’t for the archim I would have moved on from the taz 6.

Cool! Do you have a write up on which board you used? Is it a straight forward upgrade? I’m really considering moving to a hemera on my Taz6. I just bought the parts to upgrade my CR-10 Max to a hemera. I’m planning on running big nozzle stuff there and it would be great to have everything using the same filament.

I used the conversion kit from itworks3d… it’s pricey but EVERYTHING is included.

I used the It-Works Archim 2 kit too. I agree on everything eobie said.

I bought it and it’s on it’s way. Thanks for the tips!

As a heads up the board you will get is a revision b board, so the pin out with differ a little from Marcios pin out guide.

Everything is the same except the top left of the board, where the extruder heaters and part cooling fans go. Follow the guide you are given. In my case part cooling fan were swapped between extruder 1 and two. I’m not sure if that is a board thing, or firmware. But I had to swap the part cooling fans plugs around to get my part cooling fan to work. This part is incorrect on the documentation you get as well.

Everything else is is the same.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. My kit just came in.

1 Like

have you gotten it installed yet! :slight_smile:

@eobie I just installed the Archim 2 in my Taz 6. The steppers are working as well as the nozzle however when I turn on the bed heater an alarm sounds. I’ve checked and rechecked the wiring but I can’t figure out why this is happening.

UPDATE - I figured it out. There’s an error in the instructions. The instructions say to connect the thermistor to T2 however it actually must be plugged into T3.

UPDATE 2 - if you’re trying this upgrading using the instructions provided by ITworks3d there’s another error. The 24 pin GPIO adapter they supply is not pinned properly, at least mine wasn’t. The pins for the washers should be negative on pin 24 and positive on pin 20.

Itworks 3D is using a different revision of the board than the pin out provided on drunken octopus’ page.

Got it, thanks. I also had the same issue you did regarding the cooling fan connection. Finally getting the bugs worked out and it’s SO MUCH quieter! Now I just need to figure out how to make the power supply not so loud.

1 Like

UPDATE: I got past this by switching to the Z-Min option in the manual - all I had to do was move the probe signal to Z-min pin 1.

@eobie Trying to layer in the BLtouch now without much luck. When attempting to home Z the printer moves to the middle and bltouch just probes the sky a few times and then throws this error:
READ: Error:!! STOP called because of BLTouch error - restart with M999

I used this guide: https://github.com/radensb/BLTouch-Installation-Guide-Archim2/blob/master/BLTouchInstallationGuide_Archim2.pdf and used the GPIO option to wire in the BLtouch to pin 20 for control and pin 5 for signal.

Any advice would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

I would use marcio pin out guide. I’m
Not in front of it but I’m assuming that in his firmware it’s using a different pin.

Another report on an Archim 2 upgrade for the Taz6 - I didn’t go through iw3d but made my own cables from the digikey bom found in this guide. The procedure was relatively straightforward for someone who feels comfortable with soldering and cabling. I put these heatsinks on the steppers, will observe how they perform temperature wise, might upgrade the case fan or add a small dedicated fan for x/y steppers which I feel might be pushing it temperature safety wise… They measure ~45C right after opening the case quickly starting to climbing to 60 before I freak out and close it back up.

I got the 2.2b board directly from ultimaker and contrary to the two posters above did not have to swap the extruder cooling fan connections, everything was as in Marcio’s pinout page.

Having the machine be nearly silent is awesome!

Here is my startup script, in case it might help someone. This assumes you are using UBL and have already calibrated the bed and saved that profile to slot 0. Follow the instructions here to do that: https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/G029-ubl.html